what timing!

Concern in Iran After a Scholar Is Held 3 Weeks.
Here’s the latest from the US State Department on traveling to Iran. There has been a warning since December 29, 2005. There are no US embassies there, such protection as there may be is provided by the Swiss. “Americans who travel or reside in Iran despite the Travel Warning are strongly encouraged to register through the State Department’s travel registration website, https://travelregistration.state.gov. ”

Interesting! According to Foreign Entry Requirements, “U.S. citizens may need a U.S. Treasury Department license in order to engage in any transactions related to travel to and within Iran. Before planning any travel to Iran, U.S. citizens should contact the Licensing Division, Office of Foreign Assets Control, U.S. Department of Treasury, (202/622-2480) or http://www.treas.gov/ofac.”
“Should you decide to travel to Iran despite the current Travel Warning, a passport and visa are required. The Iranian Interests Section of the Embassy of Pakistan is located at 2209 Wisconsin Ave. N.W, Washington, DC. 20007; tel 202-965-4990, 91, 92, 93, 94, 99, fax 202-965-1073, 202-965-4990 (Automated Fax-On-Demand after office hours). Their Internet Website is http://www.daftar.org (click on “View in English”).”
The website is awash in Persian. ­čÖé One can do a fair amount of navigating without “viewing in English” because they have these cool pop-ups providing some translations. I downloaded some forms and signed up to the mailing list.
continued from the US Government site:
“For the latest security information, Americans traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department’s Internet web site, where the current Travel Warnings and Public Announcements, including the Worldwide Caution Public Announcement and the Middle East and North Africa Public Announcement, can be found.
“Up-to-date information on safety and security, including safety and security in Iran, can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or for callers outside the U.S. and Canada, a regular toll-line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).”
An non-government site provides additional information.

2 thoughts on “what timing!”

  1. Frances, You know I’m gonna need an emergency contact here in the States while I’m gone…do you wanna be the one? Then you can hear about me Before I’m on the news. ­čśë
    I think I will be safe. I’m just a graduate student going to visit a friend for some vacation/tourism and to do some work on a research paper we’re writing along with a couple of other colleagues from Finland and Sweden. If I’m in the wrong place at the wrong time it will really suck, but one can’t live life trying to avoid all potentially scary things.
    I’m curious. I’ll be respectful. I don’t want to change anything there, I just want to learn.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.